Assignment 4: Public Leadership Presentation
Due Week 10 and worth 150 points
Condense information from Assignments 1, 2, 3, and additional criteria in order to develop a creative and appealing PowerPoint presentation.
Incorporate the professor?s feedback from Assignments 1, 2, and 3 in order to proficiently develop Assignment 4.
Use the basic outline below as headers for your presentation. Organize your responses to each question (except Questions 1, 2, and 8) under the following slide headings:
- Role of the Chief of Staff (for Question 3)
- Public Leadership Theory (for Question 4)
- Public Leadership Styles (for Question 5)
- Public Leadership Trends (for Question 6)
- Our Government Leadership (for Question 7)
Create a ten to twelve (10-12) slide presentation in which you:
- Create a title slide and references section (as indicated in the format requirements below).
- Narrate each slide, using speaker notes
- Briefly summarize your role as Chief of Staff and the task the City Manager had charged you with regarding the Public Leadership Academy.
- From the specific leadership theories that you had reviewed in the previous assignments, determine one (1) theory that best fits the mission of the Public Leadership Academy. Provide a rationale to support your answer.
- From the styles that you had discussed in the previous assignments, determine two (2) styles that best fit the mission of the Public Leadership Academy. Provide a rationale to support your answer.
- Predict three (3) public leadership trends that you believe will be particularly significant within the next decade.
- Based on your responses in Questions 4-6, prepare an argument that convinces the City Manager to adopt the leadership theory and style(s) that best fit the mission of the Public Leadership Academy. Provide support for your argument.
- Include at least four (4) peer-reviewed references (no more than five  years old) from material outside the textbook.Note:Appropriate peer-reviewed references include scholarly articles and governmental Websites. Wikipedia, other wikis, and any other websites ending in anything other than ?.gov? do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Include a title slide containing the title of the assignment, the student?s name, the professor?s name, the course title, and the date. The title slide is not included in the required slide length.
- Include a reference slide containing the sources that were consulted while completing research on the selected topic, listed in APA format. The reference slide is not included in the required slide length.
- Format the PowerPoint presentation with headings on each slide, two to three (2-3) colors, two to three (2-3) fonts, and two to three (2-3) relevant graphics (photographs, graphs, clip art, etc.), ensuring that the presentation is visually appealing and readable from eighteen (18) feet away. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Slides should abbreviate the information in no more than five or six (5 or 6) bullet points each.
- Slide titles should be based on the criteria being summarized (e.g., ?Four Key Attributes,? ?Responses to Budget Issues,? etc.).
Running head: ASSIGNMENT 1: THEORIES OF LEADERSHIP Assignment 1: Theories of Leadership
Leadership and Conflict Resolution
Dr. Glenn L. Starks
July 31, 2016 1 ASSIGNMENT 1: THEORIES OF LEADERSHIP
Theories of leadership have been the source of numerous studies aimed at determining what
makes an authentic leader stand out from the masses. This paper will examine several of those
theories to include but not limited to; Osborne and Gaebler?s ?Reinventing Government? (1993)
to transform government into an enterprise through 10 principles, Charismatic Leadership,
Transformational Leadership and Transactional Leadership theories. 2 ASSIGNMENT 1: THEORIES OF LEADERSHIP 3 Assignment 1: Theories of Leadership The recently founded Public Leadership Academy mission is to provide ongoing training
and development of the local government?s current and prospective public leaders, build and
sustain world-class public leadership; that exemplifies exceptional leadership traits and skills and
fosters long-term relationships with internal and external stakeholders and constituents. During the 1980s, New Public Management (NPM) would attempt to bring a business
approach to the Government Bureaucracy by transforming the way Government organizations
dealt with Citizens by viewing them more as customers and encourage entrepreneurship. This
simple yet idealistic transformation resulted in numerous follow-on studies and theories that
would evolve into industry leading leadership principles. For purposes of clarity, we will review
two leadership theories and traits relevant to the success and implementation of the Public
Leadership Academy mission. Transactional Leadership Theory was first described by Max Weber in 1947 ("MSG
Experts," n.d.) and is designed for non-routine, complex and adaptive challenges that focus on
people, possibilities and the potential impact on future operations (Teelken, Ferlie, & Dent,
2012). The focus of this theory is to empower all stakeholders with a strategic, multidimensional
and open pathway to accomplishing any task with a focus on exceptional performance. This method is also known as managerial leadership; transactional leadership is a style of
leadership in which leaders promote compliance by followers by appealing to their self-interests. ASSIGNMENT 1: THEORIES OF LEADERSHIP
Since the power of transactional leadership typically comes from their role within an
organization, this theory of leadership would assist the Public Leadership Academy and
appointed Government officials in defined leadership roles to accomplish their organizational
mission through reward and punishment. James McGregor coined Transformational Leadership Theory in his book ?Leadership?.
Transformational leadership emphasis on leaders encouraging their followers by setting a model
of integrity and fairness, setting clear goals, establishing high expectations, helping other and
getting people to look beyond their self-interest. While Transformational leadership theory focuses on exceptional performance,
transactional leadership theory focuses on improvement, creating and inspiring a vision of the
future. This leadership theory relies on charismatic leaders who represent strong role models for
subordinates (Winkler, 2010). Transformational leadership can play a significant role in the
success and failure of an organization and would benefit the Public Leadership Academy
mission. Leadership styles can vary by organization, mission, and individuals. The two leadership
styles that will have been selected as the focus for the Public Leadership Academy are
Democratic Leadership and Free-Rein Leadership. Democratic Leadership encourages decision making from all employees and different
perspectives ? leadership is emphasized at every level throughout the organization. This 4 ASSIGNMENT 1: THEORIES OF LEADERSHIP 5 particular style encourages employees to look beyond their self-interest and accept ownership of
the organization's mission and ideas (Teelken et al., 2012). Laissez-Faire or Free-Rein Leadership promotes a let it be style of leadership and is
useful when paired with an entrepreneurial led mission and organization that encourages
employees to be highly motivated and creative. People within the organization are invited to take
ownership of their work life and performance is measured by accomplishments instead of hours. The effectiveness of transformational and transactional leadership theories depends on
several factors such as organizational history, labor force and most importantly when it comes to
Public Leadership the leader. In both cases, a profound and functioning understanding of both
theories will require the Public Leadership Academy The effectiveness of Democratic and Laissez-Faire leadership styles will be dictated by
the individual leader. Depending on the organizational mission and cultured environment
leadership styles may need to change depending what leadership theory the organization intends
to implement. Since the Public Leadership Academy will focus on transformational and
transactional leadership, based on analysis of leaderships styles it has been recommended that the
Democratic and Laissez-Faire leadership styles will have the most valued outcome for students
completing the academy. ASSIGNMENT 1: THEORIES OF LEADERSHIP 6 References
Asencio, H., & Mujkic, E. (2016). LEADERSHIP BEHAVIORS AND TRUST IN LEADERS:
EVIDENCE FROM THE U.S. FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. Retrieved from
Hanks, S. H. (2012). Leadership Potential, Leasdership discretion recent academic research on
people and strategy. People & Strategy, 35 (3), 10Jones, G. A. (2013). The horizontal and vertical fragmentation of academic work and the
challenge for academic governance and leadership. Asia Pacific Educational Review, 14
Longest, J. B. (2012). Management challenges at the intersection of public policy enviorments
and strategic decision making in public hospitals. Journal of Health & Human Services
Teelken, C., Ferlie, E., & Dent, M. (2012). Leadership in the public sector: Promise and pitfalls.
New York: NY:Routledge.
Transactional Leadership Theory. (n.d.). Retrieved from
Winkler, I. (2010). Contemporary Leadership Theories : Enhancing the Understanding of the
Complexity, Subjectivity and Dynamic of Leadership. Berlin: Physica.
Pay using PayPal (No PayPal account Required) or your credit card . All your purchases are securely protected by .
About this QuestionSTATUS
Oct 14, 2020EXPERT
We have top-notch tutors who can do your essay/homework for you at a reasonable cost and then you can simply use that essay as a template to build your own arguments.
You can also use these solutions:
- As a reference for in-depth understanding of the subject.
- As a source of ideas / reasoning for your own research (if properly referenced)
- For editing and paraphrasing (check your institution's definition of plagiarism and recommended paraphrase).
STUCK WITH YOUR PAPER?
Order New Solution. Quick Turnaround
Click on the button below in order to Order for a New, Original and High-Quality Essay Solutions. New orders are original solutions and precise to your writing instruction requirements. Place a New Order using the button below.
WE GUARANTEE, THAT YOUR PAPER WILL BE WRITTEN FROM SCRATCH AND WITHIN A DEADLINE.